NBHL Volunteer Program
Family Volunteer Policy
We are excited to unveil the NBHL Volunteer Program.
Beginning Fall of 2023, each family with one or more children in House and/or Travel programs will be required to complete volunteer hours throughout the year. There will also be an “Opt Out” option.
NBHL will utilize the Crossbar system to manage our volunteer opportunities. This program is not intended to be a fundraiser. There is a lot of volunteer work and hours to be completed each year and this program is meant to spread the hours needed among the entire program.
If all of your hours are not completed by the end of March, your form of payment on file on Crossbar will be charged the Opt Out Fee in full.
2nd player in family - 4 hours
3rd player in family - 2 hours
*2 hrs/player is required at Wishbone Tournament
Opt-Out Option: $400/player
2nd player in family - 2 hours
3rd player in family - Free
Opt-Out Option: $100/player
Example of Volunteer Opportunities
- Chair of Events (i.e. Back to Hockey Party, Boo Hawk Skate, Parent Social, etc.)
- Day of Support at Events
- Wishbone - Planning Committee, Clock/Scoresheet, Hospitality Room
- Recruitment Committee
- Team Managers (House and Travel)
All opportunities will be available for each family to sign up for during the year. New opportunities will be added as they become available.
Have any questions? Contact the Volunteer Program Committee @ email@example.com
Age Level Contacts:
Mites - Beth Spaniak
Squirts - Pam Soper
Peewees - Aly VanderPlas
Bantams - Kim Finke
Directions on How to Sign Up for Volunteer Opportunities
1. Log in to your Bluehawks Crossbar account at https://www.northbrookbluehawks.org
***You must log in from a desktop device. At this time, you are unable to sign up for a volunteer shift from the Crossbar app.***
2. Click on "Account" to go to your account then click on the “Volunteer” tab on the left side of the screen. A page with all the available volunteer opportunities will display.
3. To sign up for a shift, click on “More Information” below the description of the volunteer opportunity you would like to volunteer for. The available shifts will appear. On the shift you would like to sign up for, click on the green “+” icon. This will allow you to choose which person in your account you would like to assign to the shift. Once the shift is assigned, that shift will display the selected user’s name to confirm the shift is reserved. You will receive a reminder email from Crossbar prior to your volunteer shift.
4. If you need to cancel or change your volunteer shift, please try to find a replacement. If you absolutely cannot find someone to fill your shift, please contact your teams contact person or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. Remember to visit the Bluehawks Volunteer site regularly as new volunteer opportunities will be added throughout the season. If you’re having trouble fulfilling your volunteer hours or would like to create your own volunteer opportunity, please email email@example.com.
6. If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Frequently Asked Question's
WHO SHOULD I CONTACT FOR QUESTIONS?
Contact email@example.com with any questions, concerns or help to find hours to complete.
There are also contacts at each player level.
Mite: Beth Spaniak firstname.lastname@example.org
Squirt: Pam Soper email@example.com
Peewee: Aly Vanderplas firstname.lastname@example.org
Bantam: Kim Finke email@example.com
NEED HELP GETTING YOUR HOURS?
Check Crossbar regularly for new volunteer opportunities. If you are still having trouble finding enough hours to meet your requirement, please contact the volunteer coordinator at your age level for assistance. There’s always a way to help!
WHAT IF MY HOURS AREN’T COMPLETED BY 3/31?
All hours must be completed by the end of the Spring season. Volunteer opportunities during the Spring season will be available for sign up on Crossbar before 3/31. If you do not show for those hours, your payment method on file will be charged at the end of the Spring season. Examples: Krolak Cup, End of Season Party, Spring Manager Duties, etc..
I’M A HOUSE PARENT/NEW TO THE PROGRAM AND AM CONCERNED ABOUT GETTING MY HOURS.
The opportunities listed for regular season house games (Scoresheet, Scoreboard and Music) should allow for more than enough hours for each family to easily complete their hours! There are also program sponsored events such as the Boohawk skate, Try Hockey for Free days, Back to Hockey Party and End of Season Party that rely on volunteers. If you are still having trouble finding enough hours to meet your requirement, please contact the volunteer coordinator at your age level for assistance.
WHAT IS THE VOLUNTEER HOURS CANCELLATION POLICY?
NBHL requires any family to cancel a volunteer shift that they cannot work at least 2 days prior to the start of the shift • If a family cannot complete a volunteer shift and it is less than 2 days prior to the event the family must find a replacement and notify the volunteer coordinator • If a family does not cancel their shift OR find a replacement and that results in an unclaimed shift, the family will be given a no show (please see the no show policy) • If NBHL cancels your shift at least 2 days prior to the start of the shift, the family will need to find additional opportunities to complete their requirement.
WHAT IS THE NO SHOW POLICY?
If a family does not cancel their shift OR find a replacement and that results in an unclaimed volunteer shift, the family will be given a no show charge of $30.
WHO CAN CLAIM A VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITY?
Any family member age 21 and older may volunteer for any opportunity. Players are not allowed to complete your familys’ hours, i.e. no Bluehawks running scoreboard/scoresheet.
WHERE WILL THE OPT-OUT FUNDS BE ALLOCATED?
To re-iterate, this program is NOT a fundraiser, but meant to drive involvement. The money collected from opting out or not completing your volunteer hours will be used to better the Northbrook Bluehawks Hockey League program. Funds will go towards ice time, coach salaries, equipment to better develop our players, re-branding our logo, etc.
CAN I GET A PARTIAL REFUND?
There are no partial refunds. If all hours are not completed, the full amount will be charged. The number of hours being required are attainable during the length of the regular season. If this is not the case for your family, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
CAN A NON-PARENT VOLUNTEER?
No. Only player parents or legal guardians can volunteer. This means no siblings, relatives, neighbors, babysitters, etc.
DO OTHER ASSOCIATIONS CHARGE MORE FOR THEIR NO-SHOW FEES?
Yes. Some charge up to $100/hr plus a flat $100 assessment for each shift.
CAN I COMPLETE MORE THAN MY MINIMUM NUMBER OF REQUIRED VOLUNTEER HOURS?
Yes. Many families do this, and it is a very welcome contribution to the program and it’s success.
IF TWO SHIFTS TAKE PLACE AT THE SAME TIME, CAN ONLY ONE FAMILY MEMBER SHOW UP AND GET CREDIT FOR BOTH SHIFTS?
No. There must be one family member for each shift, and one person cannot get credit for more than one shift at a time.
IF I SIGN UP FOR ONE SHIFT, CAN TWO FAMILY MEMBERS SHOW UP AND GET CREDIT FOR TWO SHIFTS?
No. You only get credit for each shift for which you sign up. You cannot have more people show up and get credit.
DO BOARD MEMBERS NEED TO COMPLETE VOLUNTEER SHIFTS?
No. Since they put in countless hours, they are exempt from the volunteer policy.
DO TEAM MANAGERS NEED TO COMPLETE VOLUNTEER HOURS?
No. They will receive full credit for their volunteer requirement by taking on this task.
HOW DO I LOOK UP MY HOURS?
- Click on Account (top left of the desktop site)
- Click on Participants from the menu that appears
- Click on your player
- Scroll down to see your Volunteer History
Note: if you have more than one player you must click on each of them to find your total hours earned and owed by taking the totals from each
WHO DO I TALK TO PRIOR TO MY VOLUNTEER SHIFT TO ENSURE I’M PREPARED?
If your volunteer registration has a CHAIR listed, that is your primary contact for your shift.
If you do not have a CHAIR listed, your primary contact is then the Volunteering Committee - email Volunteer@northbrookbluehawks.org.
HOW DO I FIND VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES?
Visit: https://www.northbrookbluehawks.org/dashboard/volunteer (all available opportunities will be viewable there)
If you need additional help, contact email@example.com
HOW DO I REGISTER FOR A VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITY?
- Visit: https://www.northbrookbluehawks.org/dashboard/volunteer
- Scroll through the list to find an opportunity that is not at 100% for staffing
- Click on the ""More Information"" button for that opportunity
- Review the roles, days, and times of the commitment
- Pick the day and time that works for you by clicking on a Green '+' sign
- Pick your name from the drop down or begin to type your name as it appears in the registration system
Note: You will put the adult's name, not the child's name for the volunteering opportunity